Spending all day at the office responding to emails without any time to make music can feel like emptying the sink and watching your soul disappear down the plughole. Fortunately I find it’s always possible to carve out a slice of creative time somewhere….
My latest tactic involves taking advantage of the lobby of the local Hilton during lunch.
The great things about this are:
- I get an hour of undisrupted creative time to produce music.
- Comfy sofas and all year round tropical style climate.
- Prohibitively expensive Wi-Fi keeps me offline and focussed on making tracks.
- Much quieter than a Cafe so I always get a seat.
- I can take in sandwiches from anywhere of my choosing and nobody bats an eyelid.
Producing ad-hoc like this means having a lean portable setup and a good pair of headphones to combat any random hotel muzak. I make better music and have more fun when I have a controller to play on so I also keep a Maschine Mikro in my bag.